Name:
Location: Arizona, United States

Welcome to my site. I will be Chronicling the construction of our new home. Here is a brief history of my experiance in this area. I moved every few years as a child. As an adult I stayed in one house for 25 years, but helped remodel it four times. From a minor bath redo to adding an entire second story to the house. Now my husband and I have moved to AZ to care for my elderly parents and are undertaking to be the owner/builders of a custom home. Some people don't like change but I guess I'm not one of them. Or perhaps it is just limited change I like. To my husband's current dismay I helped build a 4000 square foot house in Romania in 2001. We took it from slab to fully furnished in 11 days. I therefore have meager patience for the pace of building here in Arizona.

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Why We Seal the Roof

As I have mentioned before, the monsoons are a hit and miss, scattered sort of event. The other night, we had just a sprinkle at the lot but the roads nearby were full of water. Today we were out at the house, we'd cleaned up after the workers and were just sitting around enjoying our various views. It sounded like it was starting to rain or even hail and we started getting ready to go to the car. I wasn't in a hurry because I wanted to see which overhangs actually would protect the windows or doors. Then we had hail, then thunder and lightening right above us and we didn't dare run out to the car. But after that we learned why we seal the roof. The roof is currently covered with OSB plywood with 1/8th inch gaps between each piece so they can swell if they get wet. But if Mother Nature puts enough water on the roof it all pours through those gaps, rather like a sieve! And, as we learned, whatever or whoever is underneath gets totally soaked. Suddenly we found ourselves standing in a half inch of water, sopping wet, and not daring to move. It let up after only a few minutes and we dashed to the car. After we got a bit dried off we decided that since the rain seemed to have stopped we ought to check out the drainage ditches and our erosion control work. All those seem to have worked as planned. We'll have to add some more rocks to slow the water in one area but it looked good. Of course, there wasn't much water coming out of the drainpipes since it was just coming through the ceiling!! THAT'S why we seal our roofs. We hope to seal ours this coming Wednesday. And when we drove away there was no water on any nearby roads!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home