Name:
Location: Arizona, United States

Welcome to my site. I will be Chronicling the construction of our new home. Here is a brief history of my experiance in this area. I moved every few years as a child. As an adult I stayed in one house for 25 years, but helped remodel it four times. From a minor bath redo to adding an entire second story to the house. Now my husband and I have moved to AZ to care for my elderly parents and are undertaking to be the owner/builders of a custom home. Some people don't like change but I guess I'm not one of them. Or perhaps it is just limited change I like. To my husband's current dismay I helped build a 4000 square foot house in Romania in 2001. We took it from slab to fully furnished in 11 days. I therefore have meager patience for the pace of building here in Arizona.

Friday, October 28, 2005

The Work Continues

Well my cameraman is asleep (it has been a long, busy week), so photos will come later, if at all. Since the last set, we have a garage door, the cabinets are fully installed, countertops have been measured, and the tile work has begun in earnest. The floor of the guest bathroom is laid(but not grouted) and at least a quarter of the shower walls are up. They began the laying of the main tile today. Much of the great room is done. This tile flows through the whole house up to the bedrooms. Once they get just a bit further we will not be able to walk around in the house so the last 2 days I've been hurriedly getting bids for window coverings. I thought I wanted wood blinds until the woman today mentioned that with the size of my windows the raised blinds would be a one foot stack. I don't think we would like that so now I am looking at other options. More expense no doubt! We expect to start grading the sides and back of the yard areas tomorrow. We have to do this so we can get a pad for one HVAC unit poured and so we can have a wall built. We are supposed to get the second coat of stucco this coming week. The HVAC system is to be installed November 7th. I'm sure that will be nice but right now it doesn't seem necessary--when we go out to the house at 7am it is in the 50's or 60's but the house is nice and warm. Sweaters come off right away. In the afternoon when the air has warmed, we open the windows and get lovely breezes through the house.
When you've been building for a long time you get into a certain mindset, as I discovered today. We bring our cold water in a small cooler or coffee in thermal cups. But we do have water in an outside faucet and we have lights and electricity, just not everywhere. Our Hispanic tile layers brought a small microwave oven and plugged it in in the garage--hot burritos!!! And later I noticed a radio and a cellphone plugged in. They see a working house, I still was seeing an unfinished lot. Now I'm thinking...I could bring a coffee pot, a clock, my own phone cord, etc......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home